Dear Prospective Candidate, the information contained here is to give you an overview of the of the requirements for becoming a member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management Nigeria.
Brief Info. About CIPM Nigeria.
The Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria was established as an umbrella Association for Practitioners of Personnel Management in 1968 as the Personnel Management Association of Nigeria. In 1973, it was renamed as Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria. Finally, Act No 58 of 1992 chartered the Institute.
Becoming a member of CIPM Nigeria
There are two routes to becoming a member namely:
- MEMBERSHIP THROUGH THE HR PRACTITIONERS’ ROUTE
- MEMBERSHIP BY EXAMINATION
MEMBERSHIP THROUGH THE HR PRACTITIONERS’ ROUTE
This category is for individuals with many years of experience in HR roles. The requirements are stated below:
(a) Minimum of Bachelor’s degree/HND or its equivalent
(b) Minimum of seven (7) years post graduation experience, five (5) of which must be in HR/Admin practice at an advisory/management level in a structured and recognised organisation. The categories of organisations are as follow:
• Public Sector including MDAs, Ministries, Local Government, Education, etc
• Oil and Gas
• Media & Advertising
• *Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
• Banking & Insurance,
• Professional Institutes and
Note: The categories above include Multi-nationals companies, Publicly quoted companies, Private companies in all sectors, etc.
* Central Bank of Nigeria, NASME, etc define SMEs as ‘businesses with turnover of less than N100MM per annum and/ or less than 300 employees’. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in a stand-alone definition defines an SME according to asset base and number of staff employed. The criteria are an asset base between N5 million and N500 million, and a staff strength between 11 and 300 employees’.
(c) Currently employed and occupying a position not less than Supervisor/Manager or its equivalent in the private sector or Grade Level 10 in the public sector.
(d) Demonstrable cognate experience and competence in at least five (5) of the following core areas of Human Resource Management:
a. Strategic Human Resource Management
b. Resourcing and Talent Planning
c. Integrated Performance Management System
d. Total Rewards and Remuneration Management
e. Employee Learning and Talent Development
f. Organisational Development and Change Management
g. Industrial and Employee Relations
h. Employee Engagement
i. Diversity and Inclusiveness
(e) Record of attendance at five (5) relevant Human Resource Management courses/programmes or other related Management training programmes in the last seven (7) years to ensure that the applicants appreciate the need for continuing professional development.
(f) Two Reference details MUST be provided as part of the application process (one of the references must be supplied by the current/most recent employer/line manager)
(g) Applicants who meet the above criteria (following assessment by the Institute and the approval of Leadership) would be required to participate in a 2-day programme titled: “Contemporary Human Resource Management Practice: Issues and Challenges”.
(h) Successful applicants shall then be inducted as Associate Members of the Institute.
- MEMBERSHIP BY EXAMINATION
The examination Route has 6 processes. There are exceptions to this depending on an individuals educational qualification. The basic qualification required to apply for CIPM Nigeria examination is the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) with credit in five subjects, which must include English Language and Mathematics. Ordinary pass in either English Language or Mathematics may be considered for applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree/Higher National Diploma.
The examinations are held February and August every year. Candidates must have been admitted as student members at least one month before the examination date.
The examining process is in 6 stages, which are:
- Introduction to Management
- Writing and Communication Skills
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Accounting
- Fundamentals of Psychology & Sociology
- Introduction to Personnel Management and Industrial Relations
- Nigerian Business Environment
- Business Law
- Computer Application and Management Information System
- Government and Nigerian Legal System
- Business Administration
- Advanced Economics
- Accounting and Finance for Managers
- Business Statistics and Social Research Methods
- Training and Development
- Public Administration
- Manpower Planning
- Comparative Management and Administration
- Operations Research
- Organisational Behaviour and Performance
- Insurance and Pension Management
- Advanced Human Resource Management I
- Nigerian Labour Law
- Advanced Industrial Relations
- Advanced Human Resource Management II
- Labour Market Analysis
Foundation I is the starting point for holders of WASSCE/NECO/GCE Ordinary Level. They must however possess the minimum entry requirements.
- Holders of OND/NCE and or its equivalent in the Social Sciences, Humanities and Management courses shall begin from Foundation II.
- Holders of Bachelor’s Degree/HND in the Social Sciences, Humanities and Management courses shall begin from Intermediate II.
- Holders of Bachelor’s Degree/HND in other disciplines shall begin from Intermediate I
- Candidates who are 30 years and above with a minimum of five (5) credits which must include English Language and Mathematics at “O” level and its equivalent will start from Foundation II.
- Holders of higher degrees (e.g. M.A./M.Sc/MBA/M.Phil/Ph.D) in relevant disciplines shall begin from PE I.
- Holders of higher degrees in other disciplines shall begin from Intermediate II.
- Candidates who hold the Associate certificate, by Examination only, of other relevant and recognized Institutes with a Bachelor’s Degree/HND and possess the requisite five credits at Ordinary level shall begin from PE I upon submission and acceptance of the student’s transcript from such Institute.
At the time of making the post, the applicable fees are as follows – visit CIPM Nigeria official page for update info
STUDY PACK FEES
PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATION I
PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATION II
In addition to the above, you will be required to pay the sum of N6,500.00 only being Acceptance fee. Subsequently as a student member, you will be expected to pay the sum of N4,500.00 as annual dues. Please note that all fees are subject to change at the instance of the Governing Council of the Institute. The Study Packs are mandatory for all students.
PREPARATION FOR THE EXAMINATION
Candidates are to prepare for examination by attending lectures at the Institute’s accredited study centers. In addition to lectures, students will find as provided in the syllabus recommended texts for each subject.
APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
1. Click on Membership by Examination/Practitioners’/Executive Route.
2. Click “Create Profile”, enter your email address and password and confirm password.
3. Complete the Membership Application Form and upload the required documents.
4. Click Preview and Proceed to Pay.
5. Click submit and proceed to payment.