The SEC Capital Market Essay Competition for Journalists, an annual event of the SEC, is a specific capacity building mechanism for the media industry.
It also fosters investor education through interest in reading and writing about the markets among journalists as well as the wider society.
In line with the objective of widening knowledge of the capital markets among its primary target publics (journalists) and wider audiences, the competition offers only training and non pecuniary rewards to winners as follows: first and second prize winners – two weeks and one week of intensive training on finance / business / capital markets respectively in a major learning centre abroad; third prize winner – a week – long training in the above disciplines in a reputable local institution.
The competition was initiated in pursuant to SEC’s market development mandate under ISA 2007, the SEC’s enabling law, for the deriving objective of strengthening interest in reading and writing about the Capital Markets on the part of professional journalists and to engender a spill – over consequence of such enhanced interest in the wider society.
CALL FOR ENTRIES
- Only to all journalists using print, TV, radio or online media
- Only practicing Nigerian journalists who are registered members of either the NUJ or NGE are eligible.
- Finance and Capital Market Columnists in the Nigerian Print, Broadcast and Online Media are also eligible to participate in the competition.
- Journalists in the employ of capital market regulatory institutions/SRO’s – SEC, NSE, CSCS, are ineligible to Participate.
- Single entry per person
- Subject Matter: News/feature essays that “enlighten the investing public on any aspect of capital market structure, institutions and operations and which has never been published or broadcasted in any local or international media”
- Target audience of report: Primarily targeted at local and international investors.
- Group participation/ entries will not be allowed.
- Only entries submitted between 17 Sept – 7 Nov, 2014 will be considered.
- Entries must be sent via email to email@example.com
- The subject line should read “ENTRY: SEC AWARD FOR JOURNALISTS 2014“
Submission Format/Supplementary Attachments.
- Language – English
- Words -Maximum 2000 words
- Paper size – A4
- Line Spacing – 1.5
- Font – Arial 12
- 150 word summary of the submitted report, its background and context
- Journalist’s CV (Should indicate current employer or medium of practice)
- Passport photograph.
Entries should be sent to [button size=”normal” type=”info” value=”firstname.lastname@example.org” href=”#”]
[notification type=”success”]Subscribe to our updates to have timely and valuable information in your email – fill and submit the subscribe form on this page. Like our facebook page. [/notification]