A bibliography is a list of sources, usually placed at the end of a document; that you consulted or cited in creating the document. In Microsoft Office Word 2007 and later versions, you can automatically generate a bibliography based on the source information that you provide for the document.
Each time that you create a new source, the source information is saved on your computer, so that you can find and use any source you have created.
How to add an information source
When you add a new citation to a document, you also create a new source that will appear in the bibliography.
- On the References tab, in the Citations & Bibliography group, click the arrow next to Style.
- Click the style that you want to use for the citation and source.
For example, social sciences documents usually use the MLA or APA styles for citations and sources.
- Click at the end of the sentence or phrase that you want to cite.
- On the References tab, in the Citations & Bibliography group, click Insert Citation.
- Do one of the following:Begin to fill in the source information by clicking the arrow next to Type of source.
- To add the source information, click Add New Source.
- To add a placeholder, so that you can create a citation and fill in the source information later, click Add new placeholder. A question mark appears next to placeholder sources in Source Manager.
For example, your source might be a book, a report, or a Web site.
- Fill in the bibliography information for the source.
To add more information about a source, click the Show All Bibliography Fields check box.
Create a bibliography
You can create a bibliography at any point after you insert one or more sources in a document. If you don’t have all of the information that you need about a source to create a complete citation, you can use a placeholder citation, and then complete the source information later.
Note Placeholder citations do not appear in the bibliography.
- Click where you want to insert a bibliography, usually at the end of the document.
- On the References tab, in the Citations & Bibliography group, click Bibliography.
- Click a predesigned bibliography format to insert the bibliography into the document.
[notification type=”error”] Be smart! Use the subscription form on this page to subscribe to valuable and timely informaton – join over 2500 subscribers on our mailing list today [/notification]