Mastering mathematics is absolutely essential for future opportunities in school and careers. Your children will need to reach a certain level of competency in math to take many advanced high-school courses, to be admitted to college, and to have a wide variety of career choices.
Even those suffering from math-related anxieties or phobias cannot escape its everyday presence in their lives. From home to school to work and places in-between, math is everywhere. Whether using measurements in a recipe, or deciding if half a tank of gas will make the destination, we all use math. It is a good idea, therefore, for teachers and parents of reluctant math learners to use real world examples to ignite a spark of practical interest.
Math is one subject in which everything builds upon what has been previously learned. For example, a failure to understand the concept of percent leads to problems with decimals.
SYMPTOMS OF MATHS WEAKNESS MAY INCLUDE
- Difficulty with logical and deductive reasoning
- Confusion of signs in math problems
- Difficulty understanding math concepts without manipulatives or pictures
- Lining up numbers incorrectly
- Avoidance of math assignments and frustration with math
- Becoming lost in the problem solving process
- Not able to remember and follow multi-step instructions
- Inability to find errors in their own work or to identify mistakes they made in solving the problem
- Difficulty solving math word problems, though the student knows basic math facts etc
Below is a simple test to determine if your child needs a lesson teacher. For sake of clarity, child as defined in this article refers to children between the ages of 11-18 years old.
Have your ward solve the exercise below; the total obtainable score is 18. If your child score 10 marks above, you do not need to worry, if otherwise, we advise you employ the services of a maths lesson teacher or a learning center or provide the help yourself.
1. Factorize the Following expression
2. Simplify the following expressions
7a – 9a + 5
2 – 4c + 5c
Your child solution to this exercise should be sent to [button size=”normal” type=”info” value=”email@example.com” href=”#”] for assessment. We would grade it and send the scores to you.
The intent of this exercise is to help identify children who need help in mathematics with a view to recommending useful study materials to their parents.
[notification type=”error”] Dont leave in a hurry! Fill the subscription form on this page to subscribe to valuable and timely information – join over 3000 subscribers on our mailing list today [/notification]